In 1623 Jurgen Herder's knifemaking skills were honed when he hardened swords during the Thirty Years War. In 1727 his family registered the "Pic As" Spade trademark, making it the oldest registered trademark in Solingen, Germany, considered the finest cutlery center of the modern world. Other trademarks followed, including the "Tjap Garpu" fork brand in 1802, introduced in the Malasian Archipelago and the Near and Far East by the Dutch East India Company. In 1931, the "Don Carlos" trademark was developed for Spanish speaking countries around the world. By the begining of World War II, Herder was considered the largest, oldest, and finest cutlery manufacturer in the world. They produced cutlery for tradesmen from doctors to saddle makers--and even for the Nazi Army. During the invasion of Germany in 1945 the factory was targeted and bombed by Allied Forces, leaving the legendary factory in ruins. In 1990 Kevin Pipes, president of SMKW, purchased the remaining stock of finished and unfinished knives from a storage building where they had been forgotten since the end of the war. The Herder Factory Collection now on permanent display at SMKW is the only one in the world! SMKW is proud to offer you some of these pieces of cutlery history.
·5-1/4" Mechanical blade
·Stainless steel construction
·Level of completion may vary due to the abrupt end of production caused by the war